Flea products containing permethrin are highly toxic to cats.
Products for dogs such as Advantix spot on for fleas and ticks and Permoxin, a spray, contain permethrin. Do NOT ever apply them to cats.
Cats which groom or sleep with dogs treated with these products in the previous 48 hours can be poisoned also.
Signs of toxicity include: tremors, twitching, drooling, incoordination, convulsions, coma and death. Some cats flick their paws, twitch their ears, or are sensitive to touch or sound. Vomiting and diarrhoea are also common.
Signs start within 1 to 3 hours of ingestion or application but can be delayed up to 12 hours. Effects can last more than 3 days.
More than 500 cases of permethrin poisoning have been reported in Australia. A quarter of these cats died despite treatment.