- Where will your cat live? If your cat will be kept entirely or mostly indoors, select a breed or an individual that’s calm and not very active.
- How much time do you want to spend grooming your cat? Cat have short or curly coats, or are long-haired. Long or densely haired cats shed more hair into your home and need more grooming than short-haired breeds. We sedate many long haired cats in spring and summer to clip and groom them thoroughly.
- What temperament would you like? Many cats are placid and gentle while others are playful or independent. Pure bred cats have more consistent temperaments but a moggie can be a loyal, healthy and long-lived pet. Kittens that have been handled a lot and exposed to all sorts of people and experiences are usually more tolerant and well-adjusted than those that have just been left with the queen.
- What size cat would you like? Breeds and individuals range from small to large in size. Check the parents and the breed.
- What sort of household do you have? If everyone in the house is out during the day at school or work, two cats will keep each other company.
Go to Pets in the City for some excellent information on keeping a cat in the city.